You might love them, but some of your friends are just toxic to your relationship.
Friends are awesome, no doubt about it. We probably wouldn’t get through life without them to hold our hands through the bad times, and laugh with us through the good. But, there are some friends that aren’t as good for you as they seem – they may unknowingly or totally knowingly be sabotaging your relationship. A relationship that could have amazing potential, but is being ruined by the unwanted imput from your friend.
Here are the friends that are bad news for your relationship…
- “Don’t go through what I did” – These friends are probably just looking out for you in their own way. They have had a bad relationship experience and don’t want you to go through the same hurt that they did because they love you. But, this overprotective nature may be bad for your romantic relationships – you need to let them know that there is some good people out there, and you have to find that out by yourself.
- “You can do better” – Not everyone will see in your partner what you do, which can mean that one of your friends may not like them. They may think that they are not good enough for you, or that you can do better – you may find yourself influenced by their opinion especially in a new relationship. You have to make your own choices and mistakes, if it goes wrong then your friend should be there for you. Beware, there could be a sinister side to the ‘You can do better friend’, they may in fact be hoping you will dump your partner so they can try and get themselves a slice.
- “You never have time for me anymore” – Most people have that friend who need lots of attention because they are often the single one of the group. They are always hinting for invites, giving you the puppy dog eyes and big sighs. So you invite them to your cinema trip with your partner, and sunday lunch, and to the beach. It may seem like a good idea to you to keep the peace, but your partner may not like it as much. Encourage your friend to meet new people and put aside one night a week where it is just the two of you.
- “Keep your options open” – There is often a friend who has particularly loose morals, they liked to play the feild at college and haven’t yet grown up. They may think its “lame” that you have committed yourself to one person and try to encourage you to take home a perfect stranger, just because they gave you the eye. Maybe they are trying to feel better about their own poor decisions, but it is time to tell them to let go of how things used to be and back off.
- “I’m just having a laugh” – Perhaps the most toxic of friends to a relationship is the one who constantly flirts with your partner and then claims they are ‘just having a laugh’ if you get upset about it. Get rid of this friend and do it fast as they are bad for your relationship and bad for your confidence, and more than likely trying to get their grubby hands on your partner.
Your friendships and romantic relationships should be able to co-exist happily together – if they aren’t it may be time to re-address things.
Read the full story on I Diva.
For more relationship advice and a few laughs, visit our official Facebook Page.